DC Moving Hints:
• Start early- Almost everyone has more stuff than they think they do, and almost no one leaves enough time to pack it.
• Room Lists- Start by forming two room lists, one for your current place and one for your future place. This will help you manage what has to go where.
• Room Inventory- Go to each room and write down the types of things that need to be packed: furniture items, length of shelving, closets, etc.
• Time Allotment- Make sure to leave enough time. The most common timeframe reported by people moving is that it takes a month to pack. One study reported that it takes 4-5 hours to pack an average dorm room, so that should give you an idea of what’s involved.
• Calendar- Pull out a calendar and plan by day when each room will be completed.
• Delegation- If you’re moving with family members, agree with them exactly while tasks they will be doing and the date they will be finished.
• Track your progress- at least once per week track where you are against the date on the calendar. Revise your plan if you’re falling behind.
• Referrals- Get referrals from local real estate agents and friends who have moved recently.
• Licensing- Only consider movers that are licensed, bonded and insured.
• Research- Investigate your potential movers through the U.S. Department of Transportation, MovingScam-dot-com and the Better Business Bureau.
• In-home estimates- Evaluate a minimum of 3 movers based on in-home estimates of goods to be moved.
• Price- Price isn't the only factor- extremely low bids indicate a desperate mover.
• "Binding Not-To-Exceed"- Ask for written "Binding Not-To-Exceed" estimates.
• Avoid "rogue movers"- if you feel uncomfortable, trust your instincts! Never agree to move your possessions with anyone you don’t trust.
• When packing electronics, a picture is worth 1000 words- Use a digital or cell phone camera to take pictures of how complicated wiring (computer cords, speaker wires) is hooked up. Be sure to use plenty of light and careful focus so the pictures will be clear. Print each picture and put it in the top of the box holding the item. This will make hooking up the items in your new place much easier.
Thanks for contacting us at Starlight Relocation DC Moving. For immediate response, please call us today at (202)459-6118.
Office Location: 1629 K St N.W. #300 Washington D.C. 20036
I had to shift from DC region to Bowie a couple of days ago, and was confused upon hiring which moving company that could help me the best. Searching on internet for some nice packers and movers in U.S., I came across DC movers. I am proud on my decision to hire them. They made my stressful event an easy one. Packing was so easy with them that I didn’t even realize that the move was done. Thanks a lot guys! I will surely recommend you to my friends.
Earlier I got an opportunity to contact DC Movers for my move from Washington to Bowie. Their staff so friendly and attentive that they did the packing process so quickly even beyond my imagination. The quote and the payment were similar and payments options were also feasible. They did the budge quickly and earlier. I really appreciate the awesome work done by them.
To get my cross country move done smoothly I heard DC movers. They were really great and proficient in their work. They professionally loaded my stuff into trucks and get them at my place the next day. Unloading was done so quickly and efficiently that it takes very less time to reposition the things. I am satisfied by the service provided by them.
I was confused how to shift my belongings to new place that will be owned by me after some days. But thanks to DC movers who get my belongings packed in such a short period and also kept them safely at their storage units. They get my things unloaded just at the day I wanted that also in the exact position it was loaded before. Great job people!
On my move from Baltimore to Washington DC a couple of weeks ago, I felt great experience while dealing with DC movers as they made my budge so comfortable and relaxing. I get so much time left for getting interiors done as they finished their job so quickly. I really appreciate the professionalism shown by them.